It’s been 5 years now since I jumped into the Social Media pool.
In that time, I’ve noted 7 essential truths that have stood the test of all the posts, updates, messages, and tweets that I’ve read and written.
I find that as long as I’m conscious of these truths, I can exist comfortably and productively in the Social Media universe, both personally and professionally.
- It’s not a “strategy” (it’s just a tool to communicate)
- It’s not a panacea for all that ails your business (no magic wands there)
- It opens up your world by leaps and bounds (in ways you’ll never think possible)
- It will expose your “analog” weaknesses (so be careful when you jump in)
- It can, if not managed properly, make the user terribly unproductive (don’t I know it)
- It has some of the best people you will ever know practicing it (if you’re serious about building real friendships & business relationships)
- It’s not going away (so learn how to use it)
What about you – are these your truths too? Are there more that I missed?