Some days I can get pretty carried away with my music obsession on Twitter – OK, almost every day.
Thankfully, there are a bunch of other people on Twitter that support this obsession, by engaging in virtual conversation about which Bob Dylan song is his best work (mine is “Lay Lady Lay”), or if the best 80’s hair band was Twisted Sister (not for me, I’d say Def Leppard).
Today I reached the apex of this musical madness, and decided that Twitter needed a “soundtrack”. Why not? Every other meaningful cultural phenomenon had some kind of music associated with it, right? (I suppose you need to buy off on Twitter being such a thing, but just for fun lets just say it is)
So leave it up to yours truly to assemble this grab bag of tuneful tracks to tickle your fancy as you wile away your valuable hours on the cultural phenomenon known as “Twitter”.
- “Follow You, Follow Me” by Genesis. Phil Collins could see the future. He could feel it in the air that night.
- “I Will Follow You” by Night Ranger. And you thought “Sister Christian” was the only cool song they did!
- “Tweeter and the Monkey Man” by The Traveling Wilburys. Tweeters always travel with Monkey Men – at least according to this supergroup
- “I Will Follow” by U2. (contributed by Matt Midgette) Was there any doubt about this one? Bono is just the coolest rock star ever. Well, maybe Sting is, but he didn’t write a good enough song with “follow” in the title.
- “I Wanna Be Sedated” by the Ramones (contributed by Amy Derby). This is in honor of all the compulsive Twitterers who crank out Tweets nearly 24 hours per day. You know who you are.
- “What Are You Doing” by Rush. Ah yes, the question that launched a billion Tweets. This time from the high voice of Geddy Lee, who’s timbre I (somewhat) duplicated in my high school rock band. You had to be there.
- “I Send A Message” by INXS (contributed by Matt Midgette). INXS was so hot back in 1987. I wasn’t. Tough year.
- “What I Like About You” by The Romantics (contributed by Amy Derby). Yes, Twitts keep us warm at night, yeah. Just like the song says.
- “I’ve Gotta Get a Message to You” by the Bee Gees. Did I tell you i do a pretty good Barry Gibb imitation? “Heeeeeere we are – in a rooom fulla straaaangas”
- “I’ve Been Searching (so long)” by Chicago. Now that the people search function has been inexplicably disabled on Twitter, this a must-add to the soundtrack.
- Bonus Track: “Get Off of My Cloud” by the Rolling Stones (contributed by Amy Derby). Hey (hey) You (you) step away from the computer!
Somehow, I’ll package these one day on a CD or on an iTunes playlist so they can accompany as many Twitterers as possible – or at least the crazy ones like me.
Remember, don’t stop the music! And see ya on Twitter.
November 12 Update: “Twitter, The Soundtrack” is now available on iTunes! (thanks Amy Derby) Download it and (of course) may it inspire you to pithy and voluminous Twitting.
Here’s the link: