It is always pretty easy to find “half-fullers” like myself; they use a certain vocabulary featuring tried and true paeans to optimism. Here is a short list of my current favorites (listen closely next time you speak with me):
- “You can’t fret about things you can’t control” – This is a classic. I use it a lot after shoveling out of 20 inch snowstorms.
- “It is what it is” – This one creeps into the mix more and more. Very pithy.
- “We’ll figure out something” – Optimistic, but also somewhat dismissive (i.e. don’t have any time right now)
- “Hey, it’s all good” – A quick way to put things in perspective without actually making a huge effort to do so.
- “Problems always create opportunities” – A great way to justify one’s existence in the business world
If you think I tend to look at all this a bit devilishly, you are right – after all, my all time favorite “half-fullism” is this gem: “Don’t take life seriously, because nobody ever got out of it alive!” (